The Canadian Institutes of Health Research and Alberta Health have announced funding for research on the health effects of the wildfires which impacted much of Northern Alberta this year. The grant will fund research that looks at the mental and physical health challenges Albertans are facing due to wildfires and evacuations. This research will then be used to create better mitigation strategies in the future.Read More
The deadline to apply for funding is September 9th. All of the details about the funding program can be found here. Read on for more information about this opportunity and how to apply.
In June of 2016, the Federal government announced that they would be reviewing four key environmental and regulatory processes:
- The Federal Environmental Assessment process;
- The National Energy Board process;
- Fish habitat protections; and
- Navigation protections.
On August 1st, 2016, Taiwanese president Tsai-Ing Wen officially apologized to the island’s Indigenous peoples for centuries of “pain and mistreatment.” Taiwan is home to over 500,000 Indigenous people (roughly 2 percent of Taiwan’s 23 million citizens), speaking 14 different languages. Since the 17th century, Indigenous tribes, who have inhabited the region for over 6,000 years, have lost ancestral land rights and have had traditional livelihoods, culture, and language subjected to colonial policies of displacement, dispossession, and destruction.Read More
We are excited to announce that registration is now open for the 2016 Indigenous Mapping Workshop that will be held from November 7-10, 2016 in Vancouver, BC.
This year, Firelight is partnering with Musqueam Indian Band, Squamish Nation, Inlailawatash (Tsleil-Waututh Nation), National Aboriginal Lands Manager Association, Ecotrust Canada, Google Earth Outreach, and ESRI Canada.
Please visit indigenousmaps.com to register and to find out more.
- External Job Posting: Executive Assistant with Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation
- External Job Posting: Forestry Project Officer with Blueberry River First Nations
- Industrial Camps and Indigenous Communities: Promoting Healthy Communities in Settings of Industrial Change
- BC Community Forest Association (BCCFA) announces the release of a new and important guide on cultivating social licence
- Congratulations to Tsawout First Nation on the upcoming ÁLI SDÁLṈEW̱!
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- November 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- April 2015
- January 2015
- July 2014